Friday, January 28, 2011

Sloppy Joe, Slop, Sloppy Joes

Anyone remember that song by Adam Sandler on SNL- Lunch Lady Land? If you don't know what I'm talking about go HERE - it's totally hilarious! Go ahead, go watch it, I'll wait...

Okay, funny right? I'm not one to watch much SNL (then or now) but I loved Adam Sandler on that show. He's such a classic. And everytime I make sloppy joes I can't help but think of that song. It's like "Lunch Lady Land" is a theme song for standing over the stove, browning ground beef and sandwiching it between a bun. My apologies if you find yourself singing that song the rest of the day :-)

When I was a kid my mom used to make Manwich. You know that canned red sauce you mix with ground beef? As a kid, I didn't love it. I don't know what about it I didn't like, I just didn't. But I find myself as an adult wanting to eat those things that remind me of my childhood. Except I don't make it from a can. I have no problem with the can and if that's what you like, that's fine, but I find my version just as simple and much tastier and I happen to like that I know the ingredients going into it.

This recipe came about by chance one day. I just added some ketchup and salsa together and it tasted familiar...like sloppy joes.Then I added spices and came up with a version I liked. I recommend toasting your bun so the bread doesn't soak up all the sauce leaving you with a soggy bun. Otherwise just enjoy it and sing along with with Adam Sandler and you chomp down on your sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe.

Sloppy Joes by Monica H

Printer Friendly Version
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3-4 Tablespoons chopped onion, optional
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt (if you use table salt- use 1/4-1/2 tsp)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 cup jarred salsa
  • 1/4 cup ketchup

In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown your ground beef and onions, breaking up into tiny bits. Cook til meat is cooked through and onions are tender. Drain off any excess fat.

Add garlic, salt, and cumin and stir around pan til fragrant. Be careful not to burn your garlic!

Stir in your salsa and ketchup until thick and saucy. Lower the temp to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. If it gets too thick, and a bit of water to thin it out. If too thin, then let it simmer a bit longer, uncovered.

Check for seasoning, add more salt if necessary and sandwich between a toasted bun or white bread.

Serves 4

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yumm! I'm going to try this, my husband doesn't like the can sauce-pretty sure he will like this though. Thanks!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

That is hilarious. It's good for the soul to crack up laughing before 6:00AM. I won't think of sloppy joes the same way again.

Whitney Stephens said...

Haha, I find that it's physically impossible for me to refrain from singing the sloppy joe song not only while cooking them, but in the hours leading up to the time I start cooking them. People probably think I'm a sloppy joe fanatic when in fact it's just a very catchy song. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that song!

Everyday mom said...

I love sloppy joes for the same reason, they remind me of Friday night dinners when I was a kid. Thanks for sticking Adam Sandler in my head!

Holly said...

I love how there are so many different recipes for sloppy joes! This one sounds really yummy with the salsa:)

Noelle Ritter said...

i love seeing how people do simple things differently. loving the salsa add. always love your blog.

-Noelle

oneordinaryday said...

My Sam would dig this, Monica. He has a thing for salsa and I know this would be a hit.

bethsheba said...

This is perfect for this weekend, so easy to put
together and devour, yum-yum.

Foodiewife said...

Craig goes nuts when I make Sloppy Joe's. My version is made with tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, onions and bell pepper. Your version has a nice South of the Border flair... definitely worth a try. How are you?

tamilyn said...

DQ is requesting I make some Sloppy Joe pie that her co-worker makes. Now to track down the recipe. She doesn't like it out of a can, she likes our friends' version of a little brown sugar and BBQ sauce.

Heather S-G said...

LOL, I am EXACTLY the same way. I can't even see a sloppy joe or hear somebody talk about one without breaking out into a little Lunch Lady Land ditty! I love a good sloppy joe...and this sounds like a good one, indeed :D

Libellule said...

I am going to sing this song now when i will make Sloppy jo, for sure! It's too funny!

Desi said...

I am passing on the Stylish Blogger Award to you, Monica! You have so many good recipes, and I love your pics :) You can pick up your badge over at my blog!

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-award.html

Kristen said...

I totally remember that song! Loved it. Also love the look of these, I've had sloppy joes on my mind lately and think I need to try this version

Julie said...

We adore sloppy joes around here...gotta have chips to pick up what falls onto the plate! Yours sounds super, and I love the lunch lady song.

shamanaccount said...

My, that sloppy joe doesn't look sloppy at all. Good tip in toasting the bun. I'm loving the song.

vanillasugarblog said...

ok this sounds good for tonight. already started the chicken soup (its freezing here), but wish i could have 2 of these for lunch. can i have some coleslaw on mine?

Unknown said...

Congratulations on winning the Chocolate Lovers Spicy Giveaway at Calamity Kate's Kitchen. Please check out your winnings here!

http://www.calamitykitchen.com/2011/01/and-winner-ischocolate-lovers-giveaway.html

nanny said...

LOL....lunch lady makes me laugh just thinking about it! There was a special on a few weeks ago and they showed it again....it's priceless!!
Sloppy joes, sloppy joes.....

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Good idea to add cumin, I bet that makes it very good. I do not love sloppy joes but think this variety looks much better! My oldest loves them, I think I will surprise him this week with this recipe.

Unknown said...

Hahaha! I love how he was about to lose it for most of the song. And yes...I will be singing this song the rest of the day.

It's funny you post this. I hated Manwich as a kid too. But I actually had it on our menu this week. But I couldn't find the dang can at the store. I think I'll try your version instead! Thanks for sharing!!

Lamchops said...

Ok this is sooo close to the recipe that I found on some-blog a couple of years ago. It reminds me of the kind of goodness that my Grandma made when I was a kid-only she made it from scratch that way. MMMmm. We use 1-lb. Ground Beef, 1/2 Cup Salsa, 1/2-3/4 Cup Ketchup & 1 TBS. Brown Sugar. *Brown the beef then add other ingredients to your own sauciness,(sometimes I add extra ketchup). Then simmer on low for 10 minutes. It is sooo good. Total hit with everyone at my house & then some. My own additional tip: When making this I like to blend the Salsa & Ketchup in the blender first. The best thing is that no-one feels the need to "pick" anything out that they don't like the looks of. Awesome.

Jane said...

Best sloppy joes ever! My boyfriend absolutely loved it...instead of 3/4 cup of ketchup I only used 1/2 and replaced the other 1/4 with barbecue sauce. It turned out perfect..not too ketchupy or anything...oh and I also skipped the brown sugar - only because the barbecue sauce I was using already had brown sugar in it.

Laura said...

Oh I absolutely love this! I had sloppy joes while on vacation in the USA with my parents a few years ago and I liked them. A lot. This, I'm defenitely going to try!

Related Posts with Thumbnails